We Will Rock You - Additional Audition Date
Landmark Community Theatre is pleased to announce that it will be holding auditions for the Queen musical, WE WILL ROCK YOU, on Sunday July 22nd 6pm to 7pm in the Arts Center Theater, located on Level 2 of the Thomaston Opera House. The production opens September 22 and runs until October 7th with Friday & Saturday evening performances at 8pm and Sunday matinees at 2pm. The show is under the direction & choreography of Foster Evans Reese, with music direction by Sean Lewis.
Auditioners must bring sheet music with them and be prepared to sing 32 bars (about a minute) of a fully memorized musical theater song showcasing the style and vocal range of the character for which they are auditioning. Songs from WE WILL ROCK YOU are allowed. Additional vocalizing may also be a part of the audition to determine vocal range and harmonizing skills. An accompanist will be provided; no recorded accompaniment is permitted. Minimum age to audition is 16 years old.
Plot Summary: Based on the music of rock band, Queen, this musical tells the story of Bohemians who struggle to restore the free exchange of thought, fashion, and live music in a distant future where everyone dresses, thinks, and acts the same. Musical instruments and composers are forbidden, and rock music is all but unknown. With more than 24 of Queen's biggest hits, including "We Will Rock You," "Somebody to Love," "Another One Bites the Dust," and "Bohemian Rhapsody," this musical reflects the scale and spectacle that earned the band its pinnacle position in rock history.
- GALILEO (Male) A misfit who keeps hearing strange voices and songs in his head which deliver messages he can’t understand. Galileo won’t dress like a Ga Ga kid and has been caught trying to make music. He is confused and unaware that he is the one the Bohemians have been waiting for, who will lead them to the place where the last remaining live instruments have lain hidden for hundreds of years.
- SCARAMOUCHE (Female) Another misfit who also gets into trouble with the Secret Police, Scaramouche meets Galileo in hospital and they run away together. Her sharp wit keeps Galileo on his toes and gradually they fall for each other.
- KILLER QUEEN (Female) Killer Queen is a ruthless businesswoman and is in charge of Global Soft, the worldwide corporation which is responsible for the suppression of all live music. She’s power crazy and tough, as well as beautiful.
- KHASHOGGI (Male) He works for Killer Queen, getting rid of any original or creative musical thoughts and going after the Bohemians. His victims are sent to the Seven Seas of Rhye.
- SECRET POLICE (Male and/or Female) These semi-automated characters carry out the bidding of the Killer Queen and Khashoggi.
- GA GA KIDS/TEEN QUEENS (Male and Female) Living in a world of consumerism and downloadable music, the Ga Ga kids don’t notice their own soulless-ness.
- BUDDY (Male) Buddy is an old librarian and a hippy who has studied the sacred musical texts to the extent that even the Seven Seas of Rhye cannot entirely erase them from his mind. He’s a comic character who acts as a foil to Galileo and Scaramouche towards the end of the play.
- THE BOHEMIANS (Male and Female) A group of rebels, determined to fight against Global Soft and its downloadable music. Their base is Tottenham Court Road Tube station, and they have taken the names of musical heroes from the past, such as Paul McCartney, Cliff Richard, and Britney.
- BRIT (Male) and OZ (Female) Two of the Bohemians who are intent on discovering the secrets of live music, and who believe that someone will come who will show the Bohemians the way. When they find Scaramouche and Galileo they are unsure at first, but are eventually persuaded that Galileo really does have strange musical lyrics in his head over which he has no control. When the Secret Police attack the Bohemian hide out, Brit is killed and Oz is captured along with the other Bohemians.
- SUPER YUPPIES (Male and Female)
- TEACHER (Female)
- DOCTORS (Male and Female)